Thursday 28 January 2016

GEJ: #DasukiGate I’ll talk at the right time

Former President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he will not comment on the ongoing investigation into the procurement of arms by his administration for the fight against Boko Haram.
Jonathan spoke yesterday at a conference hosted by the Geneva Press Club in Switzerland.


Answering questions from the audience, the former president said: “I would have loved to speak extensively on this issue [arms deal] because, even back home,
when I read the papers a number of people say former President Jonathan must make comment [on the controversial $2.1bn arms deal]. But in our country, there are laws; when an issue is before a court of law, people who have one thing or the other to do with that are not expected to make comment, because it is considered as prejudice.
“As a former president if I make any comment it will affect the court processes, witnesses and so on. So I will not talk until most of these things are settled out but definitely I will speak on it.
“I wouldn’t want to comment specifically on the $2.1bn arms deal because it is not proper, but at the appropriate time I will speak my mind on it.”
Earlier in his speech, Jonathan said “The allure of power and the worries about what will happen after leaving power are tempting that it takes a man who loves his people and nation.”
He added that as President he worked hard to encourage Nigerians and non-Nigerians to invest in our country.
Jonathan said he would, together with former Nigerian leaders, continue to support President Muhammadu Buhari in the fight against Boko Haram





Daily Trust

Feel Free To Comments Here...

No comments:

Post a Comment